Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Never been kissed (but not in a Drew Barrymore-vehicle-film sort of way)

While I admire Becky's nondiscriminatory animal humanitarianism, I am one of those obnoxious people who tend to care much more about the cute endangered animals, and I always chose my activist chocolate bars based not on the chocolate I actually wanted to eat (bat, salmon), but the animal on the label (panda, baby penguin).

awww, look at the baby!

As such, her post on the faceless, but loving kitty creeps me out hardcore. On the off chance that any of you are as shallow as I am, but also feel guilty about being a bad person, I have another story about "the inside that matters" that may be a little easier to get behind.

Susan Boyle is 47. She has never been married, and, in fact, has never been kissed. She has been singing since she was twelve, but her dream has always been to sing in front of a big audience - and she gets her chance when she appears on "Britain's Got Talent." She is sassy, though a little frumpy, and didn't get a chance to figure out frizz-control before arriving at the competition. As she takes the stage, you can feel the audience and the judges collectively dismissing her. The judges, including Simon Cowell, restrain themselves from rolling their eyes, but several audience members do not. With the first bars of "I Dreamed a Dream" from Les Misérables, Susan fidgets a little, and you hear a few scattered giggles - and then - she begins to sing -

The fascists have disabled embedding for this video, but here is Susan's performance. As far as I know, Susan has not been forced into prostitution to provide for her child, but damn, does she sell this song.

1 comment: