Friday, February 5, 2010
Oh the weather outside is weather...
It's blizzarding in DC and so I've been watching a lot more tv than normal. In flipping channels yesterday, I landed on the Biggest Loser, and have found it a fully satisfying, entertaining, fascinating and emotional way to spend 80+ minutes. I, like much of America, hate the red team, pull for the yellow team, and was horrified when they separated the "Half Ton Twins." But apparently SOME people find something wrong with "exploiting" America's obese. Josh, always the nay-sayer, brought to my attention the harmful ramifications of such quick extreme weight loss. Fine. Still enjoy it. As one contestant put it, he has to lose a fat person within him and then he is still a fat person! (By that, he meant that he had to lose 220 or so pounds...and that he would still be 250 pounds.) Wow!
Anyway, in honor of no longer having a DC internship, I have decided to go back to celebrating the countries of the world. And not just the obese people within those countries. I have invited friends to participate, so hopefully they will! This week we start with the letter B. Here is the schedule:
Thursday: Belgium (I already sorta did this one before, but I think we should stick to the order)
Here are some ideas for celebrating:
1. Read the country's wikipedia entry.
2. Change your Gmail so that it is in the language of the country.
3. Wear the country's national colors.
4. Eat the traditional foods of the country.
5. Listen to music of the country (usually involves wikipediaing music of that country and the youtubing or soulseeking).
6. Watch a movie either set in that country or from that country.
7. Google news that country to see what's going on there now.
8. Tell people fun facts you've learned about that country. Try to slip it in to normal conversation.
9. Post on the blog fun, easily digestible facts about the country.
10. Reading a book or poem from that country.
11. Learn the national anthem of that country.
12. Learn to count in the language of that country.
13. Learn how to say funny phrases in the language of that country.
14. Think about the relative size of that country with wonder.
15. checking Kayak.com to see how much it would cost to visit that country
16. Make an online friend from that country.
17. If you already have a friend from that country, send them an ecard!
18. Pick a role model from that country. Ask yourself what that person would do throughout the day.
Can't wait to start celebrating the Bahamas. "Forward, Upward, Onward Together!"